A bone may hold little interest to us humans as all the meat has gone, but there’s no denying dogs just love chewing on them.
While the enjoyment and urge they get is ingrained into them, bones may actually be doing them more harm than good. Chewing them may pose as a serious - and potentially lethal - health hazard.
"The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals" issued the warning. Vet Rebecca Ashman explained that bones are not recommended as treats for dogs because unfortunately vets and nurses regularly see dogs with digestive tract damage and blockages caused by splinters or larger pieces of bone being swallowed and becoming stuck.
"Surgery is usually needed to remove any blockage and in some cases, the damage is so serious that it can be fatal."
Ashman adds, "We would advise sticking to dog friendly chew toys that help keep your dog’s teeth clean and don’t present the same choking or blockage risks."
"Non-rawhide chews are safe, but be sure to count the calories from these as part of your dog’s daily allowance, as eating too many of these treats can cause weight gain."
Source article: http://iservice.ltn.com.tw/Service/english/english.php?engno=1072358&day=2017-01-19
We just sent you an email. Please click the link in the email to confirm your subscription!