Points to remember about initiating small talk
- It’s not about gossip in the workplace 不是八卦
- Your response need not be exact or specific 無需太認真
- It’s about warming up to the other person 讓互動慢慢加溫
- Start from broad, generic topics down to narrow, specific topics 宏觀到微觀
Topic : Work and location 工作或地點
- So, is this your first time here?
- I work in (city), and where are you based?
- How often do you have to travel for work?
- How long have you been working here/there?
- What do you like most/least about your job?
Topic : Transport for work 交通
- Do you commute to work, or do you live nearby?
- How long does it take you to get to work?
- Do you think the public transport here is better than in (city)?
Topic : Holidays 度假假期
- Where do you like to go on holiday?
- What is the one of the best places you've visited?
- Do you prefer to fly or take the car?
Topic : Free time, Hobbies, Sport 休閒活動
- What do you usually do at the weekend?
- Do you like to watch/play football?
Topic : Education and training 教育相關
- Where did you go to college/university?
- What did you study at college/university?
- Would you recommend that course to others?
- Do you speak any other languages?
Topic : Food and drinks 飲食相關
- Have you tried/Do you like the food here?
- Do you know any good restaurants around here?
- What is your favorite type of food?
Work in pairs. Take turns to initiate small talk.