Pop music is ubiquitous and it is everywhere. You can't run away from it. This article talks about how the rules of pop music has changed. The billboard, an American company that measures your record's success has changed their parameters. Before, record companies decided what was pop and what was not. Now, they are looking at the streaming media. If you are a top streaming artist, you get to also join the billboard. This article also mentioned that the billboard recently has drifted from being white, to now hip-hop as one of the top genres in the world.
Vocabulary and sample sentences:
Playbook (a book containing a sports team's strategies and plays, especially in football)
- The Internet has changed the playbook on what happens to a pop-star's career.
- The playbook for copyright infringement has changed a lot recently in the European Union
Genre (a category of art, music, literature that share similar form, style, or subject matter)
- Friday the thirteenth is a movie in the "horror" genre.
- Starwars movie is in the "science-fiction" genre.
- The hip-hop is the new genre (in music) to rule them all.
- An encyclopedia falls under the "non-fiction" genre.
Exorbitant (unreasonably high price, too expensive)
- When you go on holiday during Chinese New Year, prices are exorbitant.
- In Chinese New Year, you pay exorbitant prices for travel.
- If you eat at Sogo, the prices are exorbitant.