For 17 years, President Erdogan of Turkey has improved trade and military power and raised living standards through Economic growth. However in 2016, after a failed coup de tat against President Erdogan, he tightened his control of the country and the military power. In the past few years, Turkey’s economy and the currency, Lira, collapsed. As a result, people lost confidence in the government and began to leave the country in mass. In 2016, 178,000 people emigrated, and over 250,000 people emigrated in 2017.
Vocabulary and sample sentences:
1. Coup d’etat/coup - violent seizure of power from a government
- Military leaders tried to overthrow President Erdogan with a coup in 2016.
2. Brain drain / exodus - immigration of talented people
- The collapse of the Turkey economy and political instability is causing a brain drain in the country.
- The exodus in Turkey is adding to its economic collapse.
3. Deteriorate v. - become worse
- The economic situation in Turkey deteriorated after the coup.