Japan is a pioneer in cashless technology, but now it is one of the countries in the world that is lagging behind in the adoption of electronic payments. Four out of five purchases are made with cash, while 90% of the payments in Korea are digital. Japanese elders feel more comfortable to use cash, since counterfeiting is non-existent.
In November, Japanese lawmakers giggled during a drill to practice using the disaster prevention helmets. People took to Twitter and questioned the parliament for making light of a life and death matter.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Life-and-death adj. – vitally important
- It is a life-and-death matter, we need to deal with it very seriously.
- I need you to take me to the hospital now, it’s a life-and-death matter.
Unfold v.– open or spread out from a folded position / information or sequence that is revealed
- We would have to wait for Gavin to finish the story to understand how it unfolds.
- Please unfold the boxes and leave it near the trash can.
Off-key adj – not appropriate or not having the correct pitch
- He was singing off-key, and it was painful for us to hear.
- What Peter did last week was off-key.