Senator Kamala Harris was nominated as the as the vice-presidential candidate, running alongside ex-Vice President Joe Biden. Many people suddenly realized that she has a Chinese name. So where did she get her Chinese name? The story goes that Kamala has a Taiwanese-American friend Su Jung-Li who helped her come up with a Chinese name when she asked for advice on how to win over a Chinese-dominated population. According to reports, Kamala didn’t like the word “Li” meaning beauty initially, because she wanted people to associate with her intelligence and not her beauty.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
Ethnicity n. belonging to a social group that has a common cultural tradition
- Senator Kamala Harris was the first black woman with Asian ethnicity to be nominated as vice presidential candidate.
- Maria wanted to research the roots of her ethnicity.
Candidate n. a person who is applying for a job or is nominated for election
- We are going to interview two candidates for the design position that is open.
- Joe Biden nominated Kamala Harris as his vice-presidential candidate.
Nominate v. propose or enter as candidate in an election
- John Wick was nominated for best action movie.
- I never nominate any friends to be class captain.