This article is a piece from a few years ago when the UK government began charging for plastic bags with the aims of reducing pollution and waste. Many shoppers were confused with the new 5pence plastic bag policy that came with exemptions for buying pet fish; raw fish, meat or poultry; unwrapped blades (including axes, knives and razor blades); takeout food; or loose seeds and flowers. Many other countries have also banned giving away free plastic bags at supermarkets and retail outlets such as the US, Bangladesh, Rwanda. Plastic bags can take up to 1000 years to decompose.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Proceeds n. – money obtained from an event or activity
- The proceeds from the bad charge will be used for charitable causes.
- Companies will donate the proceeds from the charity event to countries in need.
Regulate v. – to control or maintain the speed
- Governments around the world are regulating the use of plastic bags to reduce pollution.
- To save costs, companies will regulate the use of air conditioning in summer.
Reusable adj. able to reuse again
- We should use reusable shopping bags when we go buy groceries.
- It’s better to buy reusable household items rather than disposable items.