It’s a two-part article about Japan. First article discusses the low fertility rate in Japan is making the Japanese government allocating JPY2bn to boost birth rate. Human-run matchmaking services will now use AI to improve their clients’ chances of finding the right life partners that ultimately boost birth rate. Next article is about a shift in Japan government’s stance in its carbon policies. Japan is set to reduce 80% carbon footprint by 2050 and zero-emissions in the latter half of the century. It is the fifth-biggest emitter of carbon dioxide in the world.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Subsidize v. to support financially
- Japan will subsidize local government running or stating projects that uses AI to matchmake people.
- In 2019, Taiwan government subsidized the purchase of a new Gogoro electric motorcycle.
Matchmaking n. the arranging of marriages or initiation of romantic relationships
- My grandparents were introduced by a matchmaking agency.
- Online matchmaking services are now booming in Asia.
Emission n. – production and discharge of gas or radiation
- Japan is going to reduce 80% of its carbon emissions by 2050.
- Imported cars in Taiwan are taxed by their emission level.