In order to improve pedestrian safety, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications passed the amendment to raise the current penalty from NT1200 ~ NT3600 to NT1200 to NT6000. Although pedestrians have absolute right of way when walking on a crosswalk, accidents still happen from time to time caused by vehicles not stopping or giving way to pedestrians.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Amendment n. - a minor change to improve a text or legislation
- MOTC passed the amendment to the Road Traffic and Penalty Act last week.
- Civil groups and lobbyists proposed for the amendment of the Traffic and Penalty Act.
Give way (to) ph.v. – to yield or surrender / to give precedence to other road users
- Drivers often forget to give way to pedestrians in the narrow alleys of Taipei.
- Peter gave way to his shopping desires and bought a ton of candies for Christmas.
Fined v. – to charge someone as punishment
- Pedestrians are fined for j-walking.
- You will get a fine if you drive too fast.
- Apple Podcast 2020年十大熱門節目
- KKBox 2020年十大Podcast風雲榜 (唯一語言學習Podcast)
- Himalaya 人氣票選播客總冠軍