The green iguanas were introduced to the Taiwan’s pet market ten years ago. Later, due totheir large size, many iguanas were abandoned in the wild. Since then, iguanas have thrived and grown in numbers. Last year local government has started a program to remove non-native species that came under fire by animal right groups.
Vocabularyand Sample Sentences:
Abandon v.- stop looking after / support
- Pet iguanas were often abandoned because of their large size.
- Children who are abandoned would be send to orphanages.
Invasive adj. – intrude on other people privacy or land
- Iguanas are not an indigenous species of Taiwan, they are considered invasive species.
- My building’s invasive setup of CCTVs everywhere is really annoying.
Conservation n. – prevention the wasteful use of a resource
- Natureconservation is an important topic in reduction of global warming.
- In areas where water is a valuable resource,concepts of water conservation is taught at a young age.