A bakery in Helsinki took the opportunity to be creative when their cake orders were getting canceled. As Finnish people began to panic and hoard toilet rolls, the bakery decided to demonstrate their creativity by creating a cake that looked like toilet rolls. It took social media by the storm and became the bakery’s lifeline in the past few months.
Meanwhile, in Iceland, because of the social distancing rules, the Icelandic Forestry Service suggested an alternative to hugging friends and family members by hugging trees.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Hoard v. – stock/store valuable goods
- In his senior life, my grandfather began to hoard all the imported cigarettes he would receive as gifts.
- People who likes to keep hoarding stuff is a “hoarder”.
Relieved adj. – no longer feeling anxious or distressed
- My parents were relieved to find out that their favorite restaurant didn’t close down because of the lockdown.
- I am relieved that KFC didn’t hike their prices this year.
Impose v. – force / forcibly put on
- When the governments around the world imposed the lockdown, many people’s travel plans were disrupted.
- You have to impose strict house rules to discipline your children.