The pandemic in 2020 has changed many aspects of our lives. In Japan, it did not only affect the economy, but also their office processing. Japan, like Taiwan has a culture that require paperwork such as memos be confirmed or checked off with a personal seal/chop. Since the Japanese Minister has called on citizens to stay at home during the pandemic, he asked the government to change the custom of using seals to promote remote work. At the same time, the government require small businesses applying for subsidies to hand in the paperwork in person at unemployment offices, which is in conflict with the Prime Minister’s intentions of promoting remote work. This custom was imported from China from over a thousand years ago, where citizens were required to legally register their name to use on important documents.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Custom n. – a tradition or a widely accepted way of behaving
- The local custom dictates that you take off your shoes before entering into other people’s homes.
- When in Rome do as Romans do means you should follow the local customs whereever you go.
Formalize v. – give something legal or formal status / give something structure or shape
- The use of a seal was formalized by Japan’s modern government in 1800s.
- Our business relationship will be formalized through a business contract.
Telecommute n. – work from home through the use of internet or phone
- My boss wants me to start telecommuting next week.
- You need to check the stability of your internet connection in order to telecommute.