Few years ago, delivery apps such as UberEats, GrubHub, FoodPanda, Deliveroo were the disruptive technology that gave way to a closer link between the gig economy and restaurants. Thanks to these apps, restaurants are able to make deliveries and reach more customers. However, after the COVID-19 pandemic, restaurants that have turned to rely solely on these apps for business are feeling the pain- the pain of higher costs. With most of the delivery apps charging 40% of the order taken, restaurants are now losing money.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
Delivery apps（Food-delivery apps） n. - 外送平台
- Delivery apps deliver restaurant food and groceries.
- Foodpanda and UberEats are the most well-known food-delivery apps in Taiwan.
Hostage n. - 被綁架的人
- The tourists were taken hostage by the gunman.
- Wine growers have been held hostage to the interests of the cereal and soybean farmers.
Deceptive adj. - 虛偽的，詐欺的
- Appearances can be deceptive.
- The firm is indicted for deceptive business practices.