A study funded by NASA is putting people in a domeshaped building on a Hawaii volcano for eight months that mimicks a stay on the surface of Mars. This simulation is to examine how well people can work and live together, entirely separated from civilization. The 2030 Mars mission with astronauts will consist of a six-month journey to Mars, then 500 days of stay, and another six-month return trip. NASA does not intend to put people on this mission without understanding the psychological consequences. A mock Mars mission of 520 days showed the people developed sleep disorders and became less productive. The six crew members selected are able to email with a 20minute delay, check their bank accounts, and browse limited websites. Crew members will perform a variety of work that mimics astronauts, including excursions in spacesuits.
Vocabulary and sample sentences:
Last-minute adj. – last possible time before the event
- The crew members picked up last-minute things before entering the dome.
- Please wait for me at the restaurant, I am busy with a last-minute customer at the moment.
Escalate v. – become more intense or increase rapidly
- Personal conflicts that can escalate over months could be bad for the Mars mission.
- BLM escalated after the death of George Floyd.
Worst-case adj. – the worst possible outcome
- NASA is creating a mock environment that simulates the worst-cast scenario.
- The worst-case scenario of a computer crash is the loss of data.