This article discusses the negative saving rate in Japan and how a lack of increases has led to this shift. People are not able to save and live from hand to mouth monthly. This is a huge shift in the culture and poses a huge problem for the government. They need spending, but also saving for when people retire.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences
Budge v.: to move slightly, change an opinion
- Did the stock price budge after the scandal?
- Did his opinion of the movie budge after he read its review?
Hoard v.: to collect and keep large amounts of something
- Did she hoard lots of toilet paper?
- Would you like to hoard some cash?
Void n.: large empty space
- Do children fill a void in people’s lives?
- Is there a void of savings in Japan at present?