A pharmacist explains that white masks are the most popular in Japan. Since the inner and outer sides are both white, it can be difficult to tell which side should be worn where. Similarly, the green, blue, and pink masks that are common in Taiwan pharmacies can sometimes be just as confusing for users to wear. So, which side should be on the outside? The outside should be the side with the pleats facing down. There are two reasons for the downward facing pleats on the outside – first, it is easier for users to breathe, and people who wear glasses will not get their glasses misted up when they exhale. The other reason is that dust will not accumulate in downward-facing pleats.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Distinguish v. recognize something as different
- Pharmacist Yu-pin Ko teaches people how to distinguish the inner and outer sides of white masks when they buy masks from him.
- It is important to distinguish the inner and outer sides of the masks before you put it on.
Straps n. a strip of material that is used to fasten, secure, or carry something, or hold on to something.
- Mask manufacturers do not always place the ear straps on the outside.
- If you want more comfort while wearing your mask, you should consider strap extensions.
Go with sth– ph.v to suit something
- I prefer blue masks because it goes well with my white shirts.
- You can try and buy colored masks that go well with your dress.