For British students, A-level exams are the most important exams before leaving school for University. Due to the pandemic, the exams in June were abandoned and students were given a grade by their Teachers based on past performance. However, once the A level grades were published, people realized that 39 percent of teachers’ assessments had been downgraded under an algorithm based on a school’s past performance. This meant that it was harder for smart students in disadvantaged areas to do well while rewarding the mediocre students in top private schools. Students were outraged and took to the street and started a petition to demand change.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Assessment n. evaluation of the nature, quality, ability, of someone or something
- The teachers had to make an assessment of the student’s math abilities with a test.
- Peter’s assessment of the accident helped prevent further conflict.
Mediocre adj. of moderate quality
- The new sushi dish at our favorite restaurant is mediocre.
- Students should not be rewarded for their mediocre performance in school.
Inflation n. the action of inflating something
- According to the exam regulator, the downgrade of assessments is to avoid grade inflation.
- If you want your balloon to float, you would have to inflate it with helium.