Every year just before the gift giving season, the question of the perfect gift arises. In some years, it could be easy to find that most sought-after gift, for other years, it could become an ordeal. How should we go about finding the “perfect gift”? Social scientists advise shoppers to not try that hard. Although shoppers strive for that surprise when the gift is opened, scientists found that recipients only think about “Will I get any use out of this?”. Next finding scientists found is that regifting does not actually offend people. Last, if you know the recipients asked for something, just buy them that as a gift.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Extravagant adj. – lacking restraint in using money / costing too much money
- People do not need extravagant gifts for their birthday.
- My cousin held an extravagant wedding in Hawaii.
Insist v. – demand something forcefully
- Social scientists say you don’t have to insist on buying different gifts for different people.
- My parents have always insisted on buying new clothes before Chinese New Year.
Offend v. – to cause upset
- I would not get offended if I found my friend gave a regifted gift.
- If we don’t watch what we say, we might just offend some people without knowing.
- Apple Podcast 2020年十大熱門節目
- KKBox 2020年十大Podcast風雲榜 (唯一語言學習Podcast)
- Himalaya 人氣票選播客總冠軍