Brazil the meat-loving country is changing its course to be more welcoming to plant-based diets. The number of self-declared vegetarians in Brazil has nearly doubled over a six-year period 30 million people, or 14% of Brazilians, reported being vegetarian or vegan in 2018. This change comes from rising health concerns and deforestation and animal rights movements.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
All-you-can-eat / buffet n. dishes placed in public area where guests serve themselves, buffet restaurants usually offer all-you-can-eat food at one price.
- My favorite all-you-can-eat buffet is the Eatogether restaurant.
- Restaurants that do not offer all-you-can-eat dishes, guests have to order a la carte.
Sedentary adj. seated for long periods of time/inactive
- Sedentary lifestyle and junk food in Brazil are causing a rise in cardiovascular and chronic diseases.
- The only way to avoid a sedentary lifestyle is to find an outdoor hobby or exercise regularly.
Plant-based food n. food made from vegetables
- In Taiwan, many soy-made foods are vegetarian’s main source of plant-based food.
- Many plant-based food startups around the world like Beyond meat and Impossible meat are making burger patties from plant protein.