Australian government recently passed a law to protect the rights to news content which negotiates the payment for news content used on Facebook and Google. According to research, every AUD100 in advertising payments, a third goes to Google and Facebook. Traditional media companies are suffering reduced subscriptions and advertising.
Vocabulary and Sample Sentences:
Dispute n.: disagreement, argument, or debate.
- Facebook blocked news content from Australia and deepened the dispute between socialmedia and the Australian government.
- The dispute between party A and party B will have to be settled in court.
Regulatorn. : a person/ organization that regulates something
- The competition regulator will check for monopolies in the market.
- Australian regulators are demanding social media companies to share their advertisingrevenue over news content.
Dwindle v.: diminish gradually
- The number of magazine subscriptions have dwindled.
- We expect the membership payments to dwindle by 50% over the next 3 years.